Kardinya is a 'planned community' designed to deliver residents with intellectual disability a superior lifestyle by
- Developing strong community concepts
- Ensuring stakeholder and Kardinya culture compatibility
- Focusing on individual centred plans
- Expanding onsite and offsite social networks
- Building confidence and independent living skills
- Providing safe, healthy living environments
- Self Advocacy
- Assuming ongoing family involvement & engagement
- Building partnerships between residents, families and NGO
- Ensuring staff embrace the Kardinya philosophy and Active Support strategy
- Sharing management autonomy with residents, staff, families and volunteers
- Using new media to engage stakeholders and supporters
- Delivering superior financial outcomes
A unique feature of Kardinya is volunteers living onsite as house mates. This aspect is not intrinsic to Kardinya philosophy but brings desirable extensions. Such volunteer roles could be deleted, adjusted or modified with only minor variation to the project. Kardinya would still deliver superior outcomes without volunteer engagement but at additional financial cost.
Kardinya opened in October 2011.
It is already widely acclaimed as a high quality community supported accommodation facility.
Kardinya has much more to do with culture, organization and management than buildings.
While fundamentally just two homes on one block at Blackwood accommodating 6 young people with intellectual disability, it operates with the concept of family and community being routinely referred to in planning and operation.
Kardinya differs from other models in the 'family driven management' approach that drives our culture. Simple management techniques combined with strong focus on 'Disability Best Practice' has enabled a structure to be developed that is creating great outcomes for residents, families, staff and the NGO particularly in the development of Social networks.
Our wish is that the residents should be living in a setting that duplicates where possible a family home and the culture and social networks modern families embrace.
SMILE & BE HAPPY !
A significant benefit is the Kardinya project is highly cost effective by incorporating volunteer support.
Our supporting NGO Minda, has embraced at Kardinya culture and operational structures that are outside their standard procedures for which they should be congratulated.
Kardinya is underpinned by key concepts including: